Since I decided to switch to the Paleo lifestyle I tried a lot of new recipes and rediscovered vegetables I would rarely eat. Such as cauliflower. I hardly ate any because if you steam or cook it, it smells like someone farted and eaten in its natural state it doesn’t have much taste! That changed when I decided to try Paleo recipes and ever since cauliflower rice and cauliflower mash have become my staples
There’s nothing like good old, creamy meatballs but this time instead of adding mashed potato, try cauliflower mash
- FOR THE MEATBALLS
- 500 gr minced meat
- 1 garlic clove
- salt & pepper
- red onion
- 1 egg
- 1l passata di pomodoro (tomato sauce)
- CAULIFLOWER MASH
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 1 garlic glove
- 2 tblsp of thick cream
- salt & pepper
- grated cheese
- FOR THE VEGETABLES
- 1 Zucchini
- 1 carrot
- handful of sugar snaps
- Finely chop the red onion and glaze them in the pan. Once that's done you can add them to your minced meat
- Your hands will get dirty so be ready to roll up your sleeves! Take the minced, add the glazed onion, finely chop the garlic and add it too. Increase with salt & pepper and then mix it all. I like to use my hands for this because it's easier. Add an egg so it can stick!
- Take bits and pieces of minced meat and roll them into balls. With 500 gr you should have around 10-12 balls depending on the size you roll them.
- In the meanwhile start boiling water with some added salt. Cut the cauliflower and once the water is warm add them to your pot. Let it cook for 15-20 min until it's soft.
- Grab a blender/mixer and add the cauliflower bit by bit. Don't pour it all in otherwise some parts will be left whole and you don't want chunks in your cauliflower mash :-) Make sure to blend in 1 garlic glove with it
- Grab your cauliflower mash and increase it with 2 tablespoons of thick cream, salt & pepper, grated cheese and nutmeg. Stir it and that's a wrap
- To finish the meatballs add olive oil to a pan and start cooking them. Continue with the tomato sauce, a tiny bit of cream if you want to soften the tomato taste and a handful of basil. Add salt to your taste.
- I quickly cooked the vegetables in a pan for 7 min with a bit of soy sauce so they maintain a bit of bite.
- Lunch/Dinner is served so enjoy!