Last year as I was sitting in my house I looked around and felt overwhelmed, stressed and trapped. Nothing happened to trigger it but looking at all the things I have, I felt empty inside. When I was little we didn’t have much and that made me feel less than the others. I thought that by buying stuff & going shopping it would help me feel better. It did upon shopping but that sense of gratification was short lived…
You see the problem with having more things is that they generate more stress. Stress about keeping it, for it to remain the same, not to get destroyed, etc. It filled the empty spaces in my house but it didn’t make me feel happier. To the contrary. I could continue to trick myself into thinking that if I buy more I will be happier but I know it won’t.
Advertising and all the marketing campaigns target millions of messages at us everyday influencing us to buy more. And it works because having a lipstick in another shade, buying those cute home accessories at Tiger or getting a colorful Winter coat always seem very appealing to me. But the more stuff I have the more freedom I lose, the more energy that stagnates and the less flexible I become.
When I travel I catch myself thinking about my house and if everything is working ok. If people are staying at my place I hope they treat my house and ‘stuff’ with respect. Since I plan to move part time to Rio this year I was concerned with the fact that somebody else would be sleeping in my bed while I’m not here (since I will be renting the place). When I caught myself thinking that, I realized I don’t want to be the type of person who is so attached to her things that she can’t let go of it.
Less is MORE
They say we only use 20% of our stuff so why keep the remaining 80%? I will slowly but surely continue to remove the unnecessary until I remain with the 20% I actually use. I’ve become accustomed to a lot of things but as I grow older I see that the attachment to material things reflects a mind state of not letting go of the past, things that are no longer serving me. The physical act of removing things in my house will trigger the release of emotional wounds I no longer need in my body, mind and spirit resulting in a more liberated and flexible me. Sounds wonderful doesn’t it?
Are you holding unto stuff you haven’t used in years?
Thanks for reading!
Follow me on Pinterest for more inspiring quotes!
Follow Pink Chocolate Break’s board Inspiring quotes on Pinterest.